Department of Computer Science
department of Computer Science at
A student can earn a maximum of 6 semester hours from internships (a maximum of 3 semester hours per semester) by registering for the following courses:
Note: These courses are electives and CANNOT be used as a substitute for required courses.
In order to do an internship, the student must satisfy the following three requirements:
A student doing an internship project will be supervised jointly by an industry representative and a full time faculty member from the computer science department. The industry supervisor and the faculty member who is advising the student must agree on the following:
Within the first two weeks of the semester the student will develop a preliminary one-page proposal for review by the faculty member and the industry representative.
· It is the intent of the CS department that the internship experience supply, for the student, the intellectual equivalent of one academic course. If the day-to-day work experience does not directly supply this, then the faculty member is responsible for guiding the student in further exploration and research related to the area of the internship project.
· The student will write a technical report at the conclusion of the internship experience.
· There will be regular communication between the student and the faculty advisor, using a combination of email and face-to-face meetings.
· The faculty advisor will also maintain communication with the industry representative, and the final grade will be decided upon by the faculty member after consultation with the industry representative.
· Internship activities will be carried out for at least 10 hours per week.
· At the end of each semester, each student who has done an internship project in that semester will make a brief presentation to the internship students and other interested students, department faculty, and interested industry representatives.