Last faculty candidate today

Dear Students,

Today we interview the third and last candidate for the open position. Her name is Anna Wisniewska, and she’s getting her PhD from the CUNY Grad Center. She’s also a lecturer at Hunter College.  As always, we welcome your feedback regarding these candidates.  I’ve had two students come by my office to offer their opinions of the first two candidates.  I would like to hear from even more. Email, or just drop in.  You can also chat with the candidate after the seminar ends (12:30PM).  Details follow:

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Adams Hall 208

11:30-12:30 pm

Pizza will be served

Group Dynamics in Bio-Social inspired Cognitive Radio networks.

Abstract:  Saturation of wireless channels is inevitable as the number of Internet of Things devices grow exponentially in an environment of limited radio spectrum capacity. Cognitive Radio technology has been proposed to relieve overcrowded channels by allowing for licensed channels to be opportunistically accessed by unlicensed user during periods of time when the license holder is absent from its channel. Uncoordinated competition over a limited number of resources among unlicensed spectrum users leads to complex co-existence challenges. In this talk, I will present a new bio-social inspired paradigm for cognitive radio networks. We are interested in mapping out a plausible evolutionary trajectory of inter-group dynamics in social cognitive radio networks. More specifically, we observe cognitive radio societies abiding by two social behavior rules, in-group deference and out-group avoidance. We show that there is an evolutionary pressure toward antagonism between groups as the population size grows. The bio-social paradigm presented here has consequences both in suggesting potential improvements for dynamic spectrum access and in understanding the natural evolvement of inter-group dynamics in cognitive radio populations.

Department of Computer Science

Hofstra University