Greetings!

Dear Students!

A warm welcome to a brand new academic year! We have exciting things lined up for this semester and next.

https://web.njit.edu/~js622/jianchen.jpgFirst, I wish to introduce to you our newest fulltime faculty member: Dr. Jianchen Shan!

Dr. Shan graduated this May with a Ph.D. in Computer Science from NJIT. His dissertation focuses on designing platforms for cloud computing which maintain high quality of service at relatively low cost. His research interests span cloud computing, distributed computing, networking systems, and system designs, both on mobile devices and on conventional computer platforms.   He received the Best Dissertation Award for his research.  This semester he is teaching CSC 017. But if you’re interested in working with him in his exciting field of research, you probably should make an appointment with him.

Second, we have approval to hire yet another faculty member for Fall 2019. We’re looking to hire someone in an exciting area such as Graphics/Animation/VR/AR.

Third, the department is coming up for accreditation. Specifically, our BS (Computer Science) and BS (Computer Engineering) programs will be assessed by a visiting team this November. I might request some of you seniors/juniors to make themselves available for a brief joint interview with the visiting teams. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Fourth, we have some field trips planned to companies hiring tech graduates on Long Island. If you’re a senior, you’ll probably want to get in on this. Plus, there will be seminars on how to make yourself a strong candidate for any interview.

There’s a lot more coming up. Wait for future announcements …

Department of Computer Science

Hofstra University

JPEG image