Teach coding to middle schoolers

The following is a message from Dr. Alex Pelaez in the Zarb School of Business.

---

Hi everyone,

My name is Alex Pelaez and I am a professor in the Information Systems / Business Analytics department at the Zarb School of Business. As part of the HITA club both graduate and undergraduate, we run a program with local elementary schools to teach programming to young kids from 3rd through 8th grade.

We are looking for students to participate and become teachers for us. Even if you don’t know technology, or the specific technologies it’s a great opportunity for you to learn. Furthermore, this is a fantastic program to put on your resume and a great topic for interviews. Even if you have never taught before, it’s a great way to learn, and improve your public speaking and presentation skills in a non-stress / fun environment. You are also paid $15/hr.

We are in need of teachers who are willing to teach Scratch Programming (very easy and fun graphical programming environment), Python, Spreadsheets, Databases and HTML programming.

The two schools we are working with are Drexel Ave School in Westbury and Progressive School in Merrick. If you have to miss one or two time slots that’s ok, we are looking for at least two teachers in each class.

I hope you will take advantage of this opportunity. Every student who has participated in the past has spoken about what a great experience it was and how it benefited them during interviews. If you have any questions please feel free to email me alexander.pelaez@hofstra.edu.

Sincerely,

Alex Pelaez

---

Computer Science